Hair Care Through The Summer Months
Blumseed Team - Jun 06 2021
For black women, the summer can be a struggle.
Hot weather often leaves our hair dry and frizzy. It becomes even more difficult to maintain moisture through the months of June - August when heat and humidity are at their highest and harshest. This blog post will discuss how you can keep your curls healthy and moisturized through this period by using simple products and solutions.
If you're looking for a way to keep your fro, curls and locks moisturized and healthy in the summer heat then try these tips:
1. Apply a leave-in conditioner and or moisturizer daily to keep your hair hydrated during the summer months. This will help to protect it from the damaging effect of the UV rays, drying out and becoming frizzy. Apply this to your hair at night before going to bed and wake up to pillow soft hair.
2. For the summer, it's important to use deep conditioning treatments so that you don't end up with dry and brittle strands. I recommend deep conditioning treatments once a week on damaged hair. Those with relatively healthy hair can choose to deep condition weekly or every two to four weeks as needed to strengthen your hair strands and impart moisture. Add some heat and use as a hot oil to ensure the best penetration of moisture. Using oil infused conditioning treatments are my number one go to. Leave this overnight to give your hair and scalp extra pampering!
3. One of the best ways to keep your textured hair in good condition during this hot summer is by regular shampooing and conditioning seasons to replenish your hair and scalp with moisture. Ideally shampooing and conditioning once a week is recommended. Go for a sulphate-free shampoo that will cleanse the hair gently without stripping it bare of its natural oils; rinse with cool water rather than warm to close the cuticles and pores in the scalp. This helps to add lustre and shine! Use a t-shirt to remove excess water or gently squeeze out excess water and place a shower cap on to prevent your hair from drying out until you're ready to style.
4. If you want to protect your hair, then it’s important not only to use products that are chemical-free but also to take care with what you do with your hair on a daily basis. Adding a light coating of oil/ butter on top of your leave-in conditioner or moisturizer, will prevent the UV rays from fading your hair colour. This will also protect the cuticle and cortex from damage that eventually results in dryness, brittle texture and dull sheen. So, practice effective product layering to lock in moisture with the use of an oil and/ or butter to save your hair from the summer rays.
5. Protective styling is a must for our fragile stresses, it must be treated like fine silk! Protective styling helps to keep your hair ends healthy by keeping it safe from the sun, wind and hair friction. These styles also lock in moisture, prevent split ends and breakage, and put less stress on your hair from combing and brushing. Add protective hair accessories to further protect from sun exposure. Remember ladies: wear a hat or other form of protection when you're out there enjoying nature (or going about daily business)!
We, at Blumseed, know the struggles of the kinky, curly, tight-curl hair types. Keep reading our blogs to keep your hair game tight!