Perfect Products For High Porosity Hair
Blumseed Team - Jan 15 2021
Porosity refers to
the ability of hair strand's to absorb and retain moisture. High porosity (HiPo) hair is a hair type in which the cuticles found on the outer layer of the hair are open and porous. This makes it easier for the hair to not only absorb moisture, but also for moisture to quickly evaporate. The key to keeping HiPo hair in a healthy state is locking in moisture!
To properly seal the cuticle, you must use a combination of both humectants and emollients. Both are important for different reasons.
Here are some tips for HiPo Hair:
1. Use butter and oils to seal in moisture. Go for heavy oils like olive oil, babassu oil and avocado oil. A heavy butter, like Shea Butter, further helps to seal the deal!
2. Use only lukewarm water when you wash and condition your hair. Hot water may lift the cuticles, causing further damage.
3. Dry your hair with a cotton T-shirt. Vigorous drying with a towel can create friction and cause breakage. A smooth fiber, cotton shirt is more soothing and helps protect your hair from damage.
4. At night, spritz your hair with a light conditioner like Aloe Vera juice. Follow this up with oil and butter as indicated in 1. above.
5. Cover your hair with a silk or satin scarf to help keep the moisture in. Your body heat helps generate a greenhouse effect, pampering your strands to a night time treatment!
6. An Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinse helps PH balance your scalp and close the hair shaft. Do this after every wash.
7. Deep treat your hair with added proteins every 2-4 weeks. Open hair cuticles leads to hair strands that are prone to breakage. A good protein treatment will help to reconstruct and strengthen strands. For those with finer hair, choosing conditioning products that also contain protein is key to hair durability.
8. Adopt a No-poo regimen. Stop using shampoos and conditioners with sulphates, parabens, silicones, and sodium laureth sulphates. These ingredients strip the hair of its natural oils.
9. Stay away from heat styling as much as possible. This can exacerbate the cuticle layer. The same goes for hair dyes and relaxers.
10. Use products that are nourishing. Products that contain Irish Moss, Marshmallow, Coconut Milk, Aloe Vera and Slippery Elm to promote healthy, strong and moisturized hair.
Perfect Blumseed Products for HiPo Hair include: